- A fault-bounded area or region with a distinctive stratigraphy, structure, and geological history.More example sentences
- We contrast the geological development of the Bainang terrane with that of other terranes in the region and consider this in the broader context of Neotethys evolution.
- Rift basins in the Red Sea area developed in terranes accreted in Pan-African time, and it is believed that some of these ancient sutures controlled later Red Sea rifting.
- The contrasting Neoproterozoic and Early Palaeozoic histories of the various Variscan terranes of Europe provide a key to palaeogeographical reconstructions.
early 19th cent: from popular Latin terranum. Compare with terrain.
More definitions of terraneDefinition of terrane in:
- The British & World English dictionary