Definition of terrify in English:
verb (terrifies, terrifying, terrified)[with object]
Cause to feel extreme fear: the thought terrifies me he is terrified of spiders [with object]: she was terrified he would drop her (as adjective terrifying) the terrifying events of the past few weeks
More example sentences
- The parents are terrified, their fears not at all eased by being referred to a brain surgeon.
- Funny how I can watch all sorts of horror movies for hours and not get scared while that movie and its sequel terrify me!
- Violent crime here is mercifully rare, despite some terrifying recent incidents.
petrify, horrify, frighten, scare, scare stiff, scare/frighten to death, scare/frighten the living daylights out of, scare/frighten the life out of, scare/frighten someone out of their wits, scare witless, strike terror into, put the fear of God into;
terrorize, paralyze, transfix
informal scare the pants off, scare the bejesus out of
- Example sentences
- Squirt taught Pippi everything he knew about wrestling, and she'd probably make a good terrifier of rodents if given a chance.
- So again we ask, how can it be said that Saturn, the supreme terrifier among the planets, can be your greatest friend?
- More ‘Twilight Zone’ than terrifier, the film pushes along in a quietly outlandish journey into the bizarre that leaves you delving deeper for more.
- [as submodifier]: the bombs are terrifyingly accurateMore example sentences
- Viewers get terrifyingly close to the action with giant interactive models, including a five-metre shark moving slowly and sensing its victims.
- The film works because it is handled on a small personal scale, which makes the gravity and the drama terrifyingly palpable.
- We have seen pictures of people who had little, and who have suddenly and terrifyingly lost everything.
Words that rhyme with terrifyverify
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan