Definition of terrine in English:
- To serve, place a slice of the terrine and some salad in the center of a plate.
- So here is a nice little restaurant in Queen's Park with a new chef where I've recently had lovely saltimbocca, salad niçoise, fish terrine, roast brill, courgette fritters, that sort of thing.
- For the vegetable terrine, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season carefully with salt and black pepper and pack the mixture into a terrine or china dish and leave overnight.
- Pour a first layer of cheese mixture in the terrine, even it out with a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture to the bacon-lined terrine and cover tightly with aluminium foil.
Early 18th century (denoting a tureen): from French, literally 'large earthenware pot', from terrin 'earthen'. Compare with tureen.
tureen from mid 18th century:
The original form of tureen was terrine, from a French word for a large earthenware pot that goes back to Latin terra ‘earth’, source of terrace, territory, and many other words. From its arrival in the early 18th century terrine referred both to a pot and its contents, but not long after its arrival the ‘cooking pot’ sense began to be spelled tureen, perhaps influenced by the city of Turin in north-western Italy.
Words that rhyme with terrineAberdeen, Amin, aquamarine, baleen, bean, been, beguine, Benin, between, canteen, careen, Claudine, clean, contravene, convene, cuisine, dean, Dene, e'en, eighteen, fascine, fedayeen, fifteen, figurine, foreseen, fourteen, Francine, gean, gene, glean, gombeen, green, Greene, Halloween, intervene, Janine, Jean, Jeannine, Jolene, Kean, keen, Keene, Ladin, langoustine, latrine, lean, limousine, machine, Maclean, magazine, Malines, margarine, marine, Mascarene, Massine, Maxine, mean, Medellín, mesne, mien, Moline, moreen, mujahedin, Nadine, nankeen, Nazarene, Nene, nineteen, nougatine, obscene, palanquin, peen, poteen, preen, quean, Rabin, Racine, ramin, ravine, routine, Sabine, saltine, sardine, sarin, sateen, scene, screen, seen, serene, seventeen, shagreen, shebeen, sheen, sixteen, spleen, spring-clean, squireen, Steen, submarine, supervene, tambourine, tangerine, teen, thirteen, transmarine, treen, tureen, Tyrrhene, ultramarine, umpteen, velveteen, wean, ween, Wheen, yean
Definition of terrine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.