Definition of test drive in English:
1An act of driving a motor vehicle that one is considering buying in order to determine its quality.
- Buying at auction might save you a few quid in the short term but unless you know what you're looking at you are probably better off scouring the classifieds and taking any car you're considering for a test drive before you part with cash.
- Out on our test drive, in a 1.6 litre model (likely to be the bestseller), I was struck by its hushed refinement and strikingly good quality.
- In a test drive on simulated ice, the system did not allow the driver to veer off-course and spin the car.
1.1A test of a product before purchase or release.
- As I mentioned before, shopping online isn't perfect, and there is something to be said for taking a product for a test drive.
- In the meantime, 10,000 volunteers are giving the ID card a test drive - their personal details will be captured and collated.
- She brings a variety of paintings, framed and unframed pieces and even sculpture, clients can take for a test drive, on their walls and in their homes.
verb(test-drive) [with object] Back to top
1Drive (a vehicle) to determine its qualities with a view to buying it.
- Weeks were also spent test-driving cars, including an undertaker's hearse, to ensure the best choice was made.
- He might have saved himself some heartache if he had test-driven his current car, a BMW 645 convertible.
- Eight-year-old Fionn Fitzgibbon from Dublin was delighted to be first to test-drive the racing car while other children stared wide-eyed waiting their turn.
1.1Test (a product) before purchase or release: a laboratory where they can test-drive new tools and techniques
More example sentences
- If possible, test-drive a potential purchase, even if you end up buying the machine online.
- As the author of PC World's weekly Mobile Computing newsletter, I've probed, prodded, and test-driven many worthwhile portable computing products.
- The following week, by the time I test-drove my third skirt, I started to sense diminishing returns.
Definition of test drive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan