Definition of test tube in English:
1A thin glass tube closed at one end, used to hold small amounts of material for laboratory testing or experiments.
- The lipid was deposited as a film on the wall of a glass test tube by solvent evaporation under nitrogen.
- Just because conception takes place in a laboratory test tube, it is no less emotionally fraught for the couple concerned and no less morally taxing for the rest of us.
- The girl, 14 at the time of the incident in May 1996, was injured when a test tube of ethanol boiled over during a chemistry class.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting things produced or processes performed in a laboratory: new forms of test-tube life
More example sentences
- In the January Chemical Research in Toxicology, Fukuhara's group describes test-tube experiments showing that even at high concentrations, the synthetic catechin remains an antioxidant.
- After four or five days in space, the sperm will be returned to Earth where it will used to make test-tube piglets.
- Adorability notwithstanding, the test-tube koalas are by-products of a project to establish the use of long-shelf-life koala sperm as a means of shoring up vulnerable populations.
Definition of test tube in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan