noun (plural testae /-tē/)Botany
- The protective outer covering of a seed; the seed coat.More example sentences
- The outer testae were removed and seeds placed in the light on filter paper soaked with sterile distilled water.
- Sufficient moisture must be present to penetrate the testa or seed coat, but not so much that the seed rots or that the oxygen level in the soil is reduced.
- Wheat grains consist of the seed coat, or testa, which surrounds the endosperm and embryo.
late 18th century: from Latin, literally 'tile, shell'.
More definitions of testaDefinition of testa in:
- The British & World English dictionary