1A person who tests something, especially a new product.
- All products are tested blindly, so testers are not influenced by designer names and fancy packaging.
- It is only on the basis of the tester's appraisal that we carry out any remedial work and then only if it is strictly necessary.
- The testers used each product and timed the process of creating a Web site, including the addition of text, graphics, links and publishing to a Web server.
1.1A person who tests another’s proficiency.
- The selected testers, in addition to conducting the tests, asked the learner drivers a series of questions relating to basic maintenance of vehicles.
- With the PADI ‘resort course’ that is available in most islands, it is quite possible to get underwater within a day; it consists of safety instruction and a tester in a pool, followed by a guided open-water dive on the reef.
- The company has 22 tutors and 16 testers and does not use an automatic testing system, as is common practice in other workplaces.
1.2A device that tests the functioning of something: a cake tester
More example sentences
- Heart valve testers are used by surgeons to check the function of mechanical heart valves after they have been sewn into the heart.
- The tester offers a set-up function to allow operators to set various parameters used in testing configuration and memory storage.
- Check each cell with a battery tester such as the Radio Shack 22-093.