- A poisonous compound present in the ovaries of certain pufferfishes. It is a powerful neurotoxin.More example sentences
- Some gobies even rely on chemical protection, producing a poison called tetrodotoxin, which also occurs in pufferfishes and species of salamander.
- The poison in fugu is neurotoxin tetrodotoxin and although it is not always fatal, it can cause an unpleasant death.
- The liver and reproductive organs of the puffer fish contain tetrodotoxin, an extremely powerful nerve poison.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Tetrodon (former genus name, from Greek tetra- 'fourfold' + odous, odont- 'tooth') + toxin.
More definitions of tetrodotoxinDefinition of tetrodotoxin in:
- The British & World English dictionary