(Especially of cooking and music) having a blend of Mexican and southern American features originally characteristic of the border regions of Texas and Mexico.
- The tune was also adapted to regional music genres like the Tex-Mex flavor of Texas, salsa in New York, and the mana-style rhythms of California.
- San Antonio prides itself on being the birthplace of Tex-Mex cooking and there are plenty of places where you can enjoy it.
- Mexican Standoff wanders along the Tex-Mex musical border; Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a more straight-ahead roots rock break-up record and Got No Strings sets a bunch of Disney classics to a country and western groove.
1Tex-Mex music or cooking.
- On ‘Wild Card’ he conjures up the ghost of Hank Williams, and even tackles some zydeco and Tex-Mex on ‘Oh Fait Pitie d' Amour.’
- Mestizaje undergirds the complex patterns of hybridity Tex-Mex, conjunto, crossover etc. - that have propelled Hispanic musics into the popular-music mainstream of North America.
- They know the clubhouse attendant will serve Tex-Mex at least once and that the pizza he brings in is as good as any in the big leagues.
1940s: blend of Texan and Mexican.
Words that rhyme with Tex-Mexannex, convex, ex, flex, hex, perplex, Rex, specs, Tex, vex
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Tex-Mex in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.