- A person who adheres strictly to a text, especially that of religious scriptures.More example sentences
- I thought conservatives were supposed to be strict textualists!
- I am doing that because I am more interested in exploring the general tension between the text and the interpretations endorsed by many self-described textualists than in the details of any one approach.
- According to originalists and textualists, the constitution protects us from judges and other officials by restricting them to politically uncontroversial, neutral decisions about historical intentions and semantic meanings.
- More example sentences
- Although he competently summarizes this theory in his introduction, Ring does little to distinguish textualism from originalism in general or from originalist intentionalism in particular.
- There never was a golden age of First Amendment textualism or absolutism in American history, even if you limit the First Amendment to Congressional power.
- Just as important, the 68-year-old justice hews to a philosophical framework - known as textualism - that gives great weight to the written words of the Constitution and legislation.
More definitions of textualistDefinition of textualist in:
- The British & World English dictionary