Definition of theobromine in English:
A bitter, volatile compound obtained from cacao seeds. It is an alkaloid resembling caffeine in its physiological effects.
- Chemical formula: C7H8N4O2
- Caffeine and theobromine are two naturally occurring alkaloids that are present in plants used to brew beverages in many cultures.
- Alkaloids have been described as components of plant defence responses and the two main alkaloids found in cocoa are caffeine and theobromine.
- Cocoa contains theobromine, an alkaloid that penetrates the skin to the subcutaneous fat layer and may help stimulate the release of stored fat.
Definition of theobromine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.