- Then there were his surveying tools: theodolite, plane table, brass scales, parallel ruler.
- Having begun my navigation career with star shots on sextants and theodolites and sun-compasses during the day, I appreciated the technical brilliance of the GPS (the US Global Positioning System).
- Long says his company hires surveyors who use theodolites to locate the centerlines in both directions for the templates.
- Example sentences
- Alternately, this angle can be determined directly by theodolitic measurement from the vessel.
- Just then an immigration van pulled up and they took off so fast that even a laser-powered theodolitic tracking system would have been unable to keep up with their swift escape.
Late 16th century (originally denoting an instrument for measuring horizontal angles): from modern Latin theodelitus, of unknown origin.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of theodolite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.