Definition of thermonuclear in English:
1Relating to or using nuclear reactions that occur only at very high temperatures.
- Plasma physicists recently reported key advances towards sustained thermonuclear fusion in the laboratory.
- Such a source can be used to drive thermonuclear fusion, to simulate the plasma that are found near the surface of neutron stars, or to produce jets similar to those in astrophysical phenomena.
- Deuterium plays a critical role in most thermonuclear fusion reactions.
1.1Of, relating to, or involving weapons in which explosive force is produced by thermonuclear reactions.
- By 1960 it was clear that the advent of nuclear weapons, in particular thermonuclear weapons, and ballistic missiles to deliver them, created the potential for a completely new kind of warfare: push-button, nuclear-missile war.
- An intercontinental ballistic missile with a thermonuclear weapon would be deterrent enough.
- Don't worry though, this collision won't occur for another 3 billion years or so, by which time we'll all be long dead, having killed ourselves by much more mundane methods such as biological weapons or global thermonuclear war.
Words that rhyme with thermonuclearnuclear, sub-nuclear
Definition of thermonuclear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan