Definition of thew in English:
- Then I realized that any of the the various small stories of treachery and betrayal I had encountered could form the thews and sinews of a mystery novel.
- The thug strove furiously to clamp his meaty paws around the lighter man's neck, but the deceptive strength of the other's rangy thews held him at bay.
- Renny's claws were embedded in the wiry thews of the jaguar's forearms, streams of blackish blood spilling down his hands as he fought to shred the tendons crushing the life from him.
Old English thēaw 'usage, custom', (plural) '(personal) manner of behaving', of unknown origin. The sense 'good bodily proportions, muscular development' arose in Middle English.
- Example sentences
- With her sinewy shanks and thewy thighs, the new nurse in Pine Valley Hospital on ABC's daytime soaper All My Children could easily be a professional athlete.
Definition of thew in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.