Definition of thick-knee in English:
A large-eyed ploverlike bird with mottled brownish plumage, inhabiting open stony or sandy country. Also called stone curlew.
- Family Burhinidae: two genera and several species, in particular Burhinus oedicnemus of Eurasia and Africa
- Stone curlews - now called thick-knees - glare at you in basilisk manner, spurt stiffly a few yards and then glare at you again, surprised that you're still there.
- Shore bird numbers are declining, he says, particularly among oystercatchers, red-capped dotterels and beach thick-knees.
- Cape thick-knees mate for life and are protective parents, nesting in a shallow scrape next to a small landmark.
Definition of thick-knee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan