Definition of thick-knee in English:
A large-eyed ploverlike bird with mottled brownish plumage, inhabiting open stony or sandy country. Also called stone curlew.
- Family Burhinidae: two genera and several species, in particular Burhinus oedicnemus of Eurasia and Africa
- Stone curlews - now called thick-knees - glare at you in basilisk manner, spurt stiffly a few yards and then glare at you again, surprised that you're still there.
- Shore bird numbers are declining, he says, particularly among oystercatchers, red-capped dotterels and beach thick-knees.
- Cape thick-knees mate for life and are protective parents, nesting in a shallow scrape next to a small landmark.
Definition of thick-knee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.