Definition of thigmotaxis in English:
The motion or orientation of an organism in response to a touch stimulus.
- It has been found, however, that Typhlichthys subterraneus does have a strong thigmotaxis and keeps the top of its head touching and parallel to surfaces.
- Both fight control and thigmotaxis involve mechanoreceptive inputs from different parts of the body.
- If correct, phobotaxis, strophotaxis, and thigmotaxis are thus consequences, and not the causes, of the observed movements.
- Example sentences
- The thigmotactic behavior observed in the preliminary studies confirms the high priority of defensive behaviors.
- Note that most anterior cirral pairs develop in one anlage with a row of thigmotactic cirri on the left side; and about ten posteriormost pairs develop in one anlage each with one transverse cirrus.
- Thrips adults and larvae are thigmotactic, preferring to hide in complex plant parts, flower buds and other folded tissue where they are difficult to detect and to reach with insecticides.
Definition of thigmotaxis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan