Definition of thin section in English:
A thin, flat piece of material prepared for examination with a microscope, in particular a piece of rock about 0.03 millimeters thick, or, for electron microscopy, a piece of tissue about 30 nanometers thick.
- At the time, a revolutionary new method for studying rocks - the examination of thin sections under a polarizing microscope - had just been introduced in Europe.
- Petrographical studies were conducted by examining thin sections in transmitted and reflected light to identify magnetic mineralogy and diagenetic phases.
- For electron microscopy, thin sections of the same material were stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate.
verb(thin-section) [with object] Back to top
Prepare (something) for examination with a microscope.
- There he can look at them with a hand-lens; he can thin-section them; he can examine them under a microscope.
- Although some samples have been thin-sectioned and described, the fauna from this formation awaits a more detailed description.
- I, therefore, obtained some samples and had the best one thin-sectioned so that the nature of the replacement could be observed.
Definition of thin section in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.