Definition of thin section in English:
A thin, flat piece of material prepared for examination with a microscope, in particular a piece of rock about 0.03 millimeters thick, or, for electron microscopy, a piece of tissue about 30 nanometers thick.
- At the time, a revolutionary new method for studying rocks - the examination of thin sections under a polarizing microscope - had just been introduced in Europe.
- Petrographical studies were conducted by examining thin sections in transmitted and reflected light to identify magnetic mineralogy and diagenetic phases.
- For electron microscopy, thin sections of the same material were stained with uranyl acetate and lead citrate.
verb(thin-section) [with object] Back to top
Prepare (something) for examination with a microscope.
- There he can look at them with a hand-lens; he can thin-section them; he can examine them under a microscope.
- Although some samples have been thin-sectioned and described, the fauna from this formation awaits a more detailed description.
- I, therefore, obtained some samples and had the best one thin-sectioned so that the nature of the replacement could be observed.
Definition of thin section in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan