Entry from British & World English dictionary
1Of a more advanced stage of technology than a second-generation model or system.
- The third-generation system completed a series of sea tests at high speeds.
- This is not to deny that some second- and third-generation drugs are genuine improvements.
- By the time the U.S. hybrids arrive, they may get shown up by Japan's third-generation vehicles.
1.1Denoting a broadband digital telephone technology that uses packet switching, supporting Internet connection and multimedia services for both mobile and landline phones.
- These functions will be at the heart of the mobile phone third-generation networks.
- The researchers say mergers and takeovers will be needed because third-generation mobile phone services will not move into profit before 2013.
- The race to be the first to launch third-generation mobile phone services is hotting up.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.