Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of third-generation in English:
1Of a more advanced stage of technology than a second-generation model or system.
- As yet, this third-generation technology has no name.
- It took him four years to assemble his current, third-generation prototype of a carbon nanotube transistor.
- The offices will be built to third-generation specification and will have air conditioning.
1.1Denoting a broadband digital telephone technology that uses packet switching, supporting Internet connection and multimedia services for both mobile and landline phones.
- These functions will be at the heart of the mobile phone third-generation networks.
- The researchers say mergers and takeovers will be needed because third-generation mobile phone services will not move into profit before 2013.
- The race to be the first to launch third-generation mobile phone services is hotting up.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.