Definition of third party in English:
1A person or group besides the two primarily involved in a situation, especially a dispute.
- In these circumstances, the asset given as security belongs to the defendant, not a third party.
- What I wanted to ask you was, was there any possibility of a third party being involved in the dismemberment?
- Here there is no need for a third party to have become involved.
1.1A political party organized as an alternative to the major parties in a two-party system.
- It is, if you will, a conspiracy by the two parties to keep third parties out of the presidential debates.
- It is New York's third party, the Conservative Party, that provides the best hope here.
- Also, the Electoral College helps maintain a two-party system, by discouraging third parties with the winner-take-all principle.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Of or relating to a person or group besides the two primarily involved in a situation: third-party suppliers
More example sentences
- Participating suppliers must submit to third-party audits and disclose energy sources to consumers.
- Many e-commerce websites use online shopping carts provided by third-party suppliers.
- There is no disinterested third-party witness to say who is telling the truth and who is lying.
Definition of third party in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India