- 2 Music A position of the left hand on the fingerboard of a stringed instrument nearer to the bridge than the second position, enabling a higher set of notes to be played.More example sentences
- These five duos are in a contemporary/ragtime style, with viola to third position and cello in bass clef.
- So they shoved the beginners, the ones who had trouble with first position, let alone third position, onto the viola, where they were never heard again.
- The work does not go beyond third position, and there are no complex rhythms or bowing patterns.
More definitions of third positionDefinition of third position in:
- The British & World English dictionary