1An additional rail supplying electric current, used in some electric railroad systems.
- Most of these have existed for some time, and current is supplied through a third rail bringing direct current at about 800 Volts.
- New Zealand railways are largely powered by overhead electric cables or by diesel, rather than the third rail electrification systems which are widely used in US and European urban rail networks.
- They scaled barbed wire fences, leaping over instant death on electrified third rails, and running from police.
1.1US informal A subject or issue considered by politicians to be too controversial to discuss.
- He is willing to take steps and call for policies that most Japanese politicians look on as the third rail in politics.
- Talking about cutting Social Security benefits is always the so-called third rail of politics, a lethal topic.
- In fact I'm astonished by his courage on the issue, as Social Security has always been called the third rail of politics.
Definition of third rail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.