verb[with object] Scottish or • archaic
- Endure (something) without complaint or resistance; tolerate.More example sentences
- They cannot thole the fact that the painting sold for £750,000.
- I couldn't thole the voice, but I wouldn't mind the view, if you get my meaning.
- Perhaps because he had known hard times himself he could thole the hard times of the nation.
Old English tholian, of Germanic origin.
More definitions of tholeDefinition of thole in:
- The British & World English dictionary