- Basso continuo (see continuo).More example sentences
- This splendid music is a fine vindication of Bach's teaching, with its emphasis on thorough bass and chorales.
- Called also thorough bass and basso continuo, it arose in the early 17th cent. in Italy as a means of notating an accompaniment.
- The 48-leaved manuscript, in which the hand of Bach's pupil Carl August Thieme has been identified, consists of thorough basses, studies in fugue writing, as well as figured basses and cadence patterns suitable for keyboard practice.
More definitions of thorough bassDefinition of thorough bass in:
- The British & World English dictionary