Definition of three-piece in English:
1Consisting of three separate and complementary items, in particular.
- The pin complements a three-piece pin set, which will be available with the purchase of any sculpture at participating dealers.
- At the closing performance of India's only contemporary dance festival, she challenged traditional bastions with her three-piece presentation.
- She must have been quite well known in her own time, for this is described as ‘an expensive portrait clay produced from a three-piece mould and finished in baked varnish’.
1.1(Of a set of furniture) consisting of a sofa and two armchairs.
- It is a large, traditional room with feature fireplace, heavy furniture and a three-piece suite draped in throws.
- June complained to her insurer when dye from her husband's trousers ruined an armchair of her new three-piece suite.
- I bought a leather three-piece suite, with a footrest in each of the armchairs, which I ordered from Paris.
1.2(Of a set of clothes) consisting of slacks or a skirt with a vest and jacket.
- In an era without refrigeration, air-conditioning or effective sanitation, and with polite dress being thick, three-piece suits and long skirts, the effects were traumatic.
- She was dressed in three-piece business suit with the skirt ending mid-thigh.
- But then, many in those days wore three-piece suits and the vest effectively hid the bottom of the tie.
nounBack to top
1.1A group consisting of three musicians.
- ‘All the best bands were three-pieces,’ he stresses.
- Two of the three demos included here are culled from 90-minute tapes that the band recorded as a three-piece in 1987.
- When they first released their debut album in 1997 many didn't rate their chances of success, describing the three-piece as a run-of-the-mill indie band.
Definition of three-piece in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia