- An enzyme in blood plasma that causes the clotting of blood by converting fibrinogen to fibrin.More example sentences
- In addition to its role in activation of fibrin clot formation, thrombin plays an important regulatory role in coagulation.
- Fibrinogen is modified by thrombin to produce fibrin monomers that are the primary constituent of the fibrin clot.
- The blood-clotting cascade ends in the formation of a substance that converts a blood protein called prothrombin into the protein thrombin, which actually forms the substance of the blood clot.
late 19th century: from Greek thrombos 'blood clot' + -in1.
More definitions of thrombinDefinition of thrombin in:
- The British & World English dictionary