- Deficiency of platelets in the blood. This causes bleeding into the tissues, bruising, and slow blood clotting after injury.More example sentences
- Splenomegaly or giant hemangioma can result in thrombocytopenia because of platelet sequestration.
- Hemolytic-uremic syndrome is characterized by the triad of microangiopathic hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and acute renal injury.
- Purpura may be secondary to thrombocytopenia, platelet dysfunction, coagulation factor deficiency or vascular defect.
1920s: from thrombocyte + Greek penia 'poverty'.
More definitions of thrombocytopeniaDefinition of thrombocytopenia in:
- The British & World English dictionary