A set of lettered or marked grooves cut down the side of a book, especially a diary or dictionary, for easy reference.
- One of the key design elements of the brochure is the series of thumb indexes along the face of the book.
- Kent's volume is a good size for students starting out in homeopathy and has a thumb index for added ease of use.
- Color-coded main topic sections serve as thumb indexes and are coordinated to match the table of contents, making the sections very quick and easy to find.
- Example sentences
- It is a vintage 1958 King James Version, gold-leafed, thumb-indexed and equipped with an extensive directory of useful topics.
- The book is also thumb-indexed, which is nice, but I don't necessarily need it.
- In grade school, I used an old thumb-indexed concise dictionary that was spiral bound.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: thumb in·dex
Definition of thumb index in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.