Entry from British & World English dictionary
noun (plural thumris)[mass noun]
1(In Hindustani classical music) a light romantic form.
- A popular form of light classical music, thumri essentially communicates with many variations of ‘Vak’ or the spoken word.
- It is light classical in nature and thus often sung in the vocal genre of thumri.
- In fact, the website points out that its early exponents were classically trained singers specialising in khayaal and thumri styles of singing.
1.1 [count noun] A romantic song.
- His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.
- The fusion show, ‘Soul India’ will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.
- I also sing thumris and bhajans and they always go down well with the audience everwhere.
From Hindi ṭhumrī.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thumri
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.