Definition of thylacine in English:
A doglike carnivorous marsupial with stripes across the rump, found only in Tasmania. There have been no confirmed sightings since one was captured in 1933, and it may now be extinct. Also called Tasmanian wolf.
- Thylacinus cynocephalus, family Thylacinidae
- The ‘Queensland tiger’ sounds very similar to the thylacine (marsupial wolf) that went extinct in Australia.
- There are no records of either thylacines or dingoes (Canis lupus dingo) having ever lived on the island.
- Dingoes were originally pack animals and Australia's largest carnivores, and are believed to have caused the extinction of the thylacine and Tasmanian devil on the mainland.
Words that rhyme with thylacinepiscine • porcine • cosine
Definition of thylacine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan