A doglike carnivorous marsupial with stripes across the rump, found only in Tasmania. There have been no confirmed sightings since one was captured in 1933, and it may now be extinct. Also called Tasmanian wolf.
- Thylacinus cynocephalus, family Thylacinidae
More example sentences
- The ‘Queensland tiger’ sounds very similar to the thylacine (marsupial wolf) that went extinct in Australia.
- There are no records of either thylacines or dingoes (Canis lupus dingo) having ever lived on the island.
- Dingoes were originally pack animals and Australia's largest carnivores, and are believed to have caused the extinction of the thylacine and Tasmanian devil on the mainland.
Definition of thylacine in:
- The British & World English dictionary