Definition of thymine in English:
A compound that is one of the four constituent bases of nucleic acids. A pyrimidine derivative, it is paired with adenine in double-stranded DNA.
- Alternative name; 5-methyluracil; chemical formula: C5H6N2O2
- The derivatives of purine are called adenine and guanine, and the derivatives of pyrimidine are called thymine, cytosine and uracil.
- Of the four bases that make up DNA - adenine, thymine, cytosine and guanine - only cytosine has the potential to be methylated in humans and most mammals.
- In DNA the bases pair to form a ladder-like structure, with adenine paired with thymine and guanine with cytosine.
Definition of thymine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.