Definition of thymol in English:
A white crystalline compound present in oil of thyme and used as a flavoring and preservative.
- Alternative name: 2-isopropyl-5-methylphenol; chemical formula: C10H13OH
- Other natural antimicrobials include the phenolic compounds thymol, found in thyme, oregano and sage, and eugenol, the main flavour ingredient of cloves and allspice.
- Listerine also contains essential oils from herbs including eucalyptol, thymol, methyl salicylate and menthol.
- Several of these - sage, rosemary, thyme, horsebalm and mountain dittany - are rich in thymol and carvacrol, compounds that help muscles relax.
Mid 19th century: from Greek thumon 'thyme' + -ol.
Definition of thymol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.