Definition of tilefish in English:
noun (plural same or tilefishes)
A long, slender bottom-dwelling fish of warm seas.
- Several species in the family Malacanthidae (or Branchiostegidae), in particular the large and edible Lopholatilus chamaeleonticeps of the Atlantic coast of North America
- This happened only a few years after the tilefish had been ‘discovered’, and had won almost instant approval as a table fish, in the 1870s.
- News is like the tilefish which appears in great schools off the Atlantic Coast some years and then vanishes, no one knows whither or for how long.
- The results also showed that species that were not targeted in the 70s, such as parrotfish, whitefish, spotted snapper, tilefish and creolefish, have now become common catches.
Definition of tilefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia