Definition of tillage in English:
1The preparation of land for growing crops.
- Unlike traditional tillage, conservation tillage requires leaving the crop residue on the field surface after harvest.
- Reduced tillage, crop rotations, and dispersed livestock all reduce energy needs and make more efficient use of renewable resources.
- The idea is to not let the thistle plants get any energy for at least 12 months through tillage and cover crops.
1.1Land under cultivation: forty acres of tillage
More example sentences
- The Fellows use permanent pasture, no tillage.
- The majority of the land was covered in improved grassland and tillage.
- In 1847 there were 6,700,000 of us in Eire's Twenty-Six Counties with 4,000,000 sheep and cattle and 3,129,000 acres of tillage.
Definition of tillage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia