Definition of tillage in English:
1The preparation of land for growing crops.
- Unlike traditional tillage, conservation tillage requires leaving the crop residue on the field surface after harvest.
- Reduced tillage, crop rotations, and dispersed livestock all reduce energy needs and make more efficient use of renewable resources.
- The idea is to not let the thistle plants get any energy for at least 12 months through tillage and cover crops.
1.1Land under cultivation: forty acres of tillage
More example sentences
- The Fellows use permanent pasture, no tillage.
- The majority of the land was covered in improved grassland and tillage.
- In 1847 there were 6,700,000 of us in Eire's Twenty-Six Counties with 4,000,000 sheep and cattle and 3,129,000 acres of tillage.
Words that rhyme with tillagegrillage, pillage, spillage, stillage, village
Definition of tillage in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.