Definition of tinamou in English:
A ground-dwelling tropical American bird that looks somewhat like a grouse.
- Family Tinamidae: several genera and many species
- However chickens are closely related to tinamous and the ratites by post-cranial anatomy, particularly the structure of the clavicle.
- Cracids have also been noted to consume eggs of pigeons, hummingbirds and tinamous.
- For example, ratites and tinamous have sole male incubation, but communal laying apparently occurs in only a few of these species.
Late 18th century: via French from Galibi tinamu.
Words that rhyme with tinamourimu • muumuu
Definition of tinamou in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.