Definition of titter in English:
Give a short, half-suppressed laugh; giggle: her stutter caused the children to titter
More example sentences
- All dressed in lovely spring gowns, the young women giggled and tittered, no better than my twelve-year-old sister.
- Call me a cynic, but I tittered when I heard a rumour that a high street bank considering sponsoring student comedy shows.
- His daughter tittered behind her slim, white hand.
nounBack to top
A short, half-suppressed laugh.
- While reading, I ranged from smiles to titters to outright belly laughs.
- In a truly democratic fashion, she encouraged comments from the gathering, all the time trying to poke fun at everything, and causing titters, chuckles and guffaws to break out intermittently.
- One possible reaction was laughter, although a very different laughter to the embarrassed titters of a modern school group when sex-ed comes around.
Early 17th century: imitative.
- Example sentences
- It was a rant I had heard before so I paid more attention to the titterers dancing than him.
- I do like to giggle with the gigglers and titterers but moving off is always as much as a pleasure as arriving.
- Sitting at the back of the house, an actress - who dishonestly announces that she is not an actress - chides the titterers for their embarrassment.
- Example sentences
- With that she rumbled out of the toilets, but returned thirty seconds later with a friend to peer in at the door and giggle titteringly.
- This would then explain why us bulls find it titteringly funny that you are still waffling on and on and on.
- What's more, his camera crew seemed to find the whole shameful business titteringly funny.
Words that rhyme with titterbitter, committer, critter, embitter, emitter, fitter, flitter, fritter, glitter, gritter, hitter, jitter, knitter, litter, permitter, pitta, quitter, remitter, sitter, skitter, slitter, spitter, splitter, submitter, transmitter, twitter, witter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan