noun (plural same or Tivs)
1A member of a people of southeastern Nigeria.
- The military intervention is being carried out in the name of restoring peace in the face of inter-tribal clashes between members of the Hausa-Fulani and Tivs.
- They had been sent to quell violence between two local tribes, the Tivs and Jukuns, and the army blames Tiv militias for their deaths.
- He noted a similar combination of mental processes among the Tiv.
2The Benue-Congo language of the Tiv.
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
Relating to the Tiv or their language.
- Another example, probably by the same hand, was published recently with a Benue Valley / Tiv attribution.
- The massacres sparked violent outbreaks in the Benue state capital, Makurdi, where angry Tiv students from two universities rampaged through the streets Wednesday, armed with sticks, knives and iron bars.
- Unconfirmed reports suggest that Tiv militias are carrying out massacres.
The name in Tiv.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Tiv in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.