1A tailless amphibian with a short stout body and short legs, typically having dry warty skin that can exude poison.
- Several families in the order Anura, in particular Bufonidae, which includes the common toad (Bufo bufo)
- At least 10 of the 16 original species of amphibians (frogs, toads and salamanders) survived the eruption.
- Dutch police in Leeuwarden are trying to find out if drug addicts raided a pet shop and stole three exotic toads whose warty skin is said to induce hallucinations when licked.
- Some amphibians we know today include frogs, toads, newts and salamanders.
2A contemptible or detestable person (used as a general term of abuse): you’re an arrogant little toad
More example sentences
- This snivelling little toad said with utter contempt in his voice, ‘Oh sure the French have culture.’
- Totally avoid toads like him, and look for a crush who respects girls in general - and you in particular!
- No, Joe, you sniveling toad whose pathetic job it is to lie for other liars.
- Example sentences
- Teenaged girls frequently run away when they discover the identity of the toadish middle-aged man they're supposed to lose their virginity to at 3 p.m. the next day.
- He'd opened and Rocky had stumbled in just two hours ago, yet he couldn't stand up to his boss, even if he was a toadish slob who had long since lost the will to live and did everything to make sure his employees were also miserable.
- The one night stand seems, despite his toadish ways after the event, to be a genuinely kind and intelligent individual, even as he's trying to weasel out of a relationship.
Old English tādde, tāda, abbreviation of tādige, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with toadabode, bestrode, bode, code, commode, corrode, download, encode, erode, explode, forebode, goad, implode, load, lode, middle-of-the-road, mode, node, ode, offload, outrode, road, rode, sarod, Spode, strode, upload, woad
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.