Definition of toadfish in English:
noun (plural same or toadfishes)
Any of a number of fishes with a wide flattened head.
- ● A chiefly bottom-dwelling large-mouthed fish of warm seas that can produce loud grunts (family Batrachoididae: several genera).
- Accordingly, the swimbladder itself is the source of the most complex forms of sound production in many groups (e.g. toadfishes, searobins and flying gurnards).
- You look at this fish that has a face only a mother toadfish could love.
- ‘Understanding the mechanisms of how the toadfish survives these toxins will help us develop therapies for stroke, liver disease, heart attack and brain injury,’ said Perez.
Definition of toadfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.