British • informal • derogatory
- A rich or upper-class person.More example sentences
- A ban won't just affect a few toffs and their rich country chums.
- Grand ambition: to meet a rich toff and get married
- A generation of rich and eccentric toffs with more money than sense block out what's happening in the world by immersing themselves in one party after another.
mid 19th century: perhaps an alteration of tuft, used to denote a gold tassel worn on the cap by titled undergraduates at Oxford and Cambridge.
More definitions of toffDefinition of toff in:
- The British & World English dictionary