(also tolu balsam)
A fragrant brown balsam obtained from a South American tree, used in perfumery and medicine.
- This balsam is obtained mainly from Myroxylon balsamum, family Leguminosae
More example sentences
- Balsam of tolu was also included in the U.S. Pharmacopeia in 1820 and is used much as balsam of Peru.
- Taken internally, the balsam of tolu was described as a blood clarifier and systemic cleanser.
- The main constituents of tolu balsam are the benzyl- and cinnamyl esters of benzoic acid and cinnamic acid.
late 17th century: named after Santiago de Tolú in Colombia, from where it was exported.
Definition of tolu in:
- The British & World English dictionary