A colorless liquid hydrocarbon present in coal tar and petroleum and used as a solvent and in organic synthesis.
- Alternative name: methylbenzene; chemical formula: C6H5CH3
More example sentences
- The raw materials for today's dyes are mainly aromatic hydrocarbons: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, anthracene, pyrene, and others.
- In combination with nitric acid, toluene gives trinitrotoluene.
- The powdered bark can also be treated with solvents, such as toluene, or amyl alcohol to extract the quinine.
Definition of toluene in:
- The British & World English dictionary