noun (plural tondi /-dē/)
- A circular painting or relief.More example sentences
- Here the author proceeds tondo by tondo, providing extended readings of each work, into which she integrates observations about the setting, function, and circular significance of the tondo made in earlier chapters.
- She also strives to situate the tondo within a representational tradition and in relation to specific social and cultural practices.
- The stylistic traits reflected in the known copies also support this dating, and the original was arguably the first tondo in which Raphael came to terms with a circular format.
late 19th century: from Italian, literally 'round object', from rotondo 'round', from Latin rotundus.
More definitions of tondoDefinition of tondo in:
- The British & World English dictionary