1Make something less harsh in sound or color.
- I would suggest toning the colours down a bit, so it's not quite so harsh on the eyes
- We have gone away from the bright colour scheme and toned it down slightly.
- Would it really have detracted if the big keyboard synth sounds had been toned down to a minimum?
1.1Make something less extreme or intense: she saw the need to tone down her protests
More example sentences
- Critics last night claimed the report had been toned down because of concerns that its most ‘extreme’ findings would ruffle too many feathers within the establishment.
- Next time, boys, it may be possible to tone it down just a notch without losing any of the entertainment value.
- Brendan heard himself being melodramatic and toned it down a couple of notches.
Definition of tone something down in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.