The black seed of a South American tree, which has a vanillalike fragrance. The dried beans are cured in rum or other alcohol and then used in perfumery and for scenting and flavoring tobacco, ice cream, and other products.
- The tree is Dipteryx odorata, family Leguminosae
More example sentences
- Perfume connoisseurs will love this scent, an incense-inspired mix of tobacco, vanilla and tonka bean.
- The perfume is a blend of peppermint, lavender, patchouli, atlas cedarwood, coffee, styrax, musk and tonka bean.
- We were introduced to many exotic fruits like five fingers, tonka bean, pois doux, fat-pork, banga, donkey stones mangoes and sour cherry back then.
late 18th century: tonka, a local word in Guyana.
Definition of tonka bean in:
- The British & World English dictionary