- The black seed of a South American tree, which has a vanillalike fragrance. The dried beans are cured in rum or other alcohol and then used in perfumery and for scenting and flavoring tobacco, ice cream, and other products.
More example sentences
- The tree is Dipteryx odorata, family Leguminosae
- Perfume connoisseurs will love this scent, an incense-inspired mix of tobacco, vanilla and tonka bean.
- The perfume is a blend of peppermint, lavender, patchouli, atlas cedarwood, coffee, styrax, musk and tonka bean.
- We were introduced to many exotic fruits like five fingers, tonka bean, pois doux, fat-pork, banga, donkey stones mangoes and sour cherry back then.
late 18th century: tonka, a local word in Guyana.
More definitions of tonka beanDefinition of tonka bean in:
- The British & World English dictionary