Definition of top note in English:
1A dominant scent in a perfume: fragrant musk with a fresh citrus top note
More example sentences
- Although it delivers a lively, spiralling peat twist, the dominant top notes are red fruits and peppery spice.
- Is there a conspiracy, a kind of Masonic handshake between design houses and perfume-makers, that each new fragrance has to have clean citrus top notes, floral heart notes and a base of edible, comforting warmth?
- The perfumers preference, is for a grain based alcohol to produce the ethereal and elusive top notes of fine perfumes.
2The highest or a very high note in a piece of music or a singer’s vocal range.
- He voices the top notes of the chords, playing the other notes noticeably quieter.
- The top note of the chord identifies major, while the middle note identifies minor.
- I thought, during the interval, someone might have had a quiet word, but the noise level kept rising, until by the final number, a dramatic rendition of Monteverdi's Ed e puer dunque vero, her top notes could have cut through steel.
Definition of top note in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.