1Disproportionately heavy at the top so as to be in danger of toppling.
- Jenssen's placement of thin, spiderweblike shapes beneath heavier bodies of color gives these works a top-heavy feel, as if they risk collapsing beneath their own weight.
- Eventually that dense tangle will get worse, causing a top-heavy tree that can break under heavy snow or in high wind.
- The country in Yuba, Wisconsin is extremely hilly (it's close to the Mississippi side), and the tobacco tractor had a very high wheel base, making it too top-heavy to use on inclines.
1.1(Of an organization) having a disproportionately large number of people in senior administrative positions.
- The police do a difficult job, and, generally, they do it well, despite their constant battles with top-heavy administration, resource shortfalls, and lack of staff.
- Early retirement as a trend hit Ireland during the 1990s when it became popular with employers seeking to restructure top-heavy organisations and draft in younger employees at a lower cost and on a less committed contractual basis.
- Corruption and top-heavy bureaucracy have deterred many foreign investors, and there is scant prospect of a clean-out while the government remains seemingly opposed to reform of the legal system.
1.2 informal (Of a woman) having a disproportionately large bust.
- I opened the door and the two of them were either side of a stocky young top-heavy woman who bore an uncanny, slightly skewed resemblance to Samantha.
- She's a top-heavy temptress whose well-enhanced front end gets the lion's share of the amorous attention.
- A top-heavy nurse in cricket pads and dangling overhead light pack struggles to aim a fire breathing generator in a duel with a whip-cracking foreman.
- Example sentences
- Bulking top-heavily upright, it loomed over the viewer like Rodin's Balzac in a pose that seems deliberately - almost comically - aggressive.
- It was so crazily thin and elongated in the leg, so top-heavily pouted in the chest, such stalky, flexible-looking distortions of early bipeds… like something seen in one of those comic mirrors.
- Not too top-heavily and very rhythmically and cleverly elaborated passages grab you and with the oriental touch BEFORE EDEN sound quite independent.
- Example sentences
- In order for the surgery to be covered, the insurance company needed photographic evidence of my top-heaviness.
- Calling the tendency toward top-heaviness predictable in organizational behavior may be an exaggeration.
- The weight of this concrete was probably well over 14 tons and only added to the top-heaviness of the vessel.
Words that rhyme with top-heavybevvy, bevy, Chevy, heavy, levee, Levi, levy
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of top-heavy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.