- More example sentences
- Furtive and nimble tipplers and topers nightly dodged through alleys and back yards under the noses of the flashlamp-carrying guards.
- One of them asks all serious topers to banish moderate drinkers from parties and to drink until speech becomes impaired and walking impossible.
- He looks at the spectator good-naturedly and unintelligently, with the suspicious expression of an inveterate toper [habitual drinker].
A small grayish slender-bodied shark, occurring chiefly in inshore waters.
- Genus Galeorhinus, family Carcharhinidae: the eastern Atlantic G. galeus, and the commercially important G. australis of Australia
More example sentences
- Chunking in the vicinity of fish means blue sharks, tope and spurdogs.
- What looked like a cross between a tope and a bull huss looked decidedly unhappy and I had to run over and get a glimpse of the biggest fish I had ever seen taken from the shore.
- The tope shark is considered harmless to humans because of its small size and its preference for small prey items.
late 17th century: perhaps of Cornish origin.