Definition of topgallant in English:
noun(also topgallant mast)
1The section of a square-rigged sailing ship’s mast immediately above the topmast.
- Then the topgallant masts and sail fell onto the forecastle, dragging in the water until cut free.
- The jibsails came down smoothly, then the topsails, until only the topgallants were still drawing.
- On the topgallant mast is the topgallant sail, on big vessels divided into two sails, like the topsail.
1.1 (also topgallant sail) A sail set on the topgallant mast.
- Above the upper topsails are the topgallant sails and above these, the royals and the skysails.
- On large ships, the topgallant sail sometimes comprises 2 separate sails for the same reason.
- In a short time the topgallant sails and mainsail were handed and preparations made to reef the fore topsail.
Definition of topgallant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia