Definition of topiary in English:
noun (plural topiaries)
1The art or practice of clipping shrubs or trees into ornamental shapes.
- The horticultural art of topiary dates back at least 2,000 years, to when the ancient Romans cut bushes and trees into ornamental shapes.
- Some varieties lend themselves to topiary sculpture, espalier, or bonsai training.
- In fact, topiary pruning can create health hazards for the plant, lower it's value and waste time and money.
1.1Shrubs or trees clipped into ornamental shapes: a cottage surrounded by topiary and flowers
More example sentences
- Container and garden grown rosemary takes well to training into topiaries.
- There were two expensive holly topiaries planted on either side of the tall elegant columns at the front door.
- You can make and maintain 25 stunning topiaries to add elegance and beauty to your home.
- Example sentences
- The grounds are magnificent with an attractive walled garden, a topiarian maze and nature trails.
- The gardens have small topiarian trees, rose arbours, palm and lemon trees and a profusion of colourful flowers.
- Byatt's stories simmer with a sensuality and passion which, like topiarian trees in a formal garden, are pruned and trained into cultivated shapes whilst retaining the wild scent of the orchard.
- Example sentences
- I'd finished putting some chunky brass screws into the fence panels ripped loose by the rampaging Italian topiarists and was getting ready to fill up the birds' seed feeders.
- James had run his hair salon - Total Look in Epsom - for 20 years when he made a momentous decision four years ago: he would become a topiarist, and trim trees and bushes instead of hair.
- It's all down to the skill, imagination and personality of the topiarist in question.
Definition of topiary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan