- 1A matter dealt with in a text, discourse, or conversation; a subject: her favorite topic of conversation is her partnerMore example sentences
- Unfortunately, one of the topics of conversation was to be the new guy asleep in the corner.
- The conversation turns to other topics, but by that point I've drifted off into my own thoughts.
- Where to go on holiday, parenting advice and bad days at work are among the other hot topics of conversation.
- 1.1 Linguistics That part of a sentence about which something is said, typically the first major constituent.More example sentences
- First, the empty topic is in general a discourse rather than a sentence phenomenon.
- The reviewer is perforce required to deal with major themes and how topics within them are treated.
late 15th century (originally denoting a set or book of general rules or ideas): from Latin topica, from Greek ta topika, literally 'matters concerning commonplaces' (the title of a treatise by Aristotle), from topos 'a place'.